An overview on the Independent Examinations Board (IEB ) National Senior Certificate (NSC). Benefits of the Independent Examinations Board (IEB) Qualification. The IEB’s mandate is to ensure that learners in South Africa become a valuable human resource, equipped with the skills and knowledge to allow South Africa to compete and to contribute towards the global economy. The IEB NSC is a South African qualification that is equivalent to the UK AS level, and provides Umalusi accredited examinations in all subjects recognised in the National Senior Certificate (NSC) for all IEB-registered schools.
Key notes on the IEB qualification
The IEB uses the South African National Curriculum which is regulated by the Department of Basic Education.
• The IEB NSC is quality assured by Umalusi, the Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education.
• The IEB NSC is an internationally benchmarked qualification and is equivalent to Cambridge AS level.
Grade 8 – 9 Core Subjects. These comprise of:
• Zulu (FAL)
• Natural Science
• Social Science
• Creative Arts
• EMS (Economic Management Sciences)
• Life Orientation.
Grade 10 – 12. Core Subjects. These comprise of:
• Home Language (English)
• First Additional Language (Afrikaans or Zulu)
• Mathematics or Maths Literacy
• Life Orientation
• Elective subjects
Elective Subjects. These include:
• Physical Science
• Life Sciences
• Computer Applications Technology (CAT)
• Business Studies
• Engineering Graphics and Design (EGD)